How to change DNS on Windows and macOS
When you register for the internet connection, your ISP (Internet Service Provider) will handle every setting for you initially to connect to the internet easily including DNS (Domain Name System) servers. But some ISPs use slow and unreliable DNS servers which make opening any website and browsing experience slow even after having a good internet connection. The good thing is you can easily reconfigure or change DNS Server on Windows, macOS and even on Android easily.
What is a DNS?
A Domain Name System is a service which translates or resolves the website name with the associated IP address. In short www.facebook.com is 184.108.40.206, if you paste this number i.e. IP address in the browser URL bar, Facebook will open. Like this every website has a unique IP address. So, you must be wondering why we have this dual standard.
This is because machines operate on numbers more efficiently but for humans remembering numbers is tough. This is why we have a DNS service which translates the names to the linked IP so it is easier for both machines and humans to work.
What are benefits of using good DNS service?
There are many benefits of changing the DNS on Windows, Mac or any other operating system. Like if you use OpenDNS then it will not only give high speed performance but also protection from phishing websites. Phishing websites are fraud websites which look similar to other popular websites which user can interpret as legitimate websites and may enter their credit card or banking details. Not only this, you have option to block websites based on content like if you block social media then all websites under social media category won’t open from your laptop or device.
Steps to change DNS on Windows
- Open control panel
- Click on “Network and Internet”
- Now click on “Network and sharing center”. You can also open this by clicking on network status icon (Bottom right near volume icon).
- Click on “Change adapter setting” on the left side.
- Right click on the internet connection you want to change DNS and select “Properties”.
- Select Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP / IPv4) and click Properties.
- Click on the button next to Use the following DNS server addresses and enter the DNS server IP address of your choice and hit OK.
Reconnect to the network so changes can apply. That’s it!
Steps to change DNS on macOS
- Go to System Preferences and then to Network.
- Now select the internet connection you are connected to and click on
- Click on the tab “DNS”.
- Now click the left box under DNS Servers and then click on “–“ button.
- Click on the + button and DNS servers of your choice.
- Now click on Okay to save the changes.
That’s how you change DNS Server on Windows, macOS and Android. Now for those who are not sure which DNS to opt for, stay with us.
Also Read– How to Increase your WiFi speed
Best FREE DNS Servers
Cloudfare – Fastest DNS Server (FREE)
Primary DNS servers (DNS1) : 220.127.116.11
Secondary DNS servers (DNS2): 18.104.22.168
Primary DNS servers (DNS1): 22.214.171.124
Secondary DNS servers (DNS2): 126.96.36.199
Google Public DNS
Primary DNS Server (DNS1): 188.8.131.52
Secondary DNS servers (DNS2): 184.108.40.206
That’s was all we had about changing DNS on Windows and macOS. Do you have something in mind to say or ask? You can always use the drop section below and one more thing, if we taught you something new today then help us teaching others by sharing this article.