How to convert your laptop/pc into a Wi-Fi hotspot
Sometimes we need to share our PC internet for personal or just your friend is asking (most of the time) for some data. Making your laptop/PC a Wi-Fi hotspot is very easy, just few clicks and you are done! Here we will discuss few methods to convert your laptop into a hotspot.
The best method
There is free small software (virtual router) just in case if your hands are tight in changing settings and typing few commands. To download this software click here.
Windows 10 comes with the feature of sharing your data with other Wi-Fi enable devices.
To enable data sharing on windows 10 follow the below steps:
- Fire up settings by pressing windows+i.
- On the menu page select Network & Internet.
- On the Network & Internet page, click on the mobile hotspot on the left side of the page.
- Now select the “share my internet connection with other devices” switch.
- If you want to set a custom name to your hotspot and protect it with password then click on edit and edit your default network name and password. Done!
To enable data sharing in windows 7 follow the below steps.
Click on start and search for wireless and locate manage wireless network.
Click on the Add
Select “Create an ad hoc network” and click on “Next”.
Enter the name and password for your hotspot and check the “save this network” and click next.
Now press windows+r to open Run box and type the following: “cpl” (without quotes) and hit enter.
You will see your newly created network (if not make sure you have followed correctly).
Right click on the network you just created and click on properties and click on the sharing
Check the box saying “Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s Internet connection” and select your active internet connection you want to share. Finally hit ok!
By using command prompt (cmd)
- Click on start on search for cmd and then right click on cmd.exe and hit on “Run as administrator”.
- Now carefully type the below commands: netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode=allow ssid=newtonbaba key=123456789 and now hit enter.
- Now type netsh wlan start hostednetwork and hit enter.
- Here your hotspot name i.e. SSID is newtonbaba and key is your password. You can keep whatever name and password you want.
- Now go to network and sharing in control panel or just click on your Wi-Fi icon on bottom right corner and click on “open network and sharing center (see image below).
- Click on your main network and then click on properties.
- Now click on sharing tab and select “Allow other network users to connect through this computer’s Internet connection” and select your active internet connection you want to share hit ok.
Now you have successfully created your hotspot and ready to be searched from any Wi-Fi enabled device.